Let’s Rock n’ Roll DC!

image

I tend to approach races with an overly confident demeanor. My philosophy has always been that 90% of any task is attitude, hard work makes up the other 10%. Though that has worked more than less times throughout my life I’m beginning to believe it may not necessarily hold true for running..not marathons anyway. To be fair to one’s body and those who wonder, it takes as much kick-ass attitude as it does hard work; every heart-thumping, feet-pounding and limit-defying moment is bathed in determination and sweat. To me, that counts for nothing less than 50/50 and so I’ve tried to have a more balanced approach to this one.

It’s my first time running in the nation’s Capitol and as with any first time course, I’m excited, my adventurous spirit cannot be tamed, but this time around I’m going for bit more realism. We’ve had some really funky weather this season and the last few weeks have been no exception though the last couple days have been pretty darn good. The advantage here is that DC’s temperatures are quite similar to New York’s so there should be no big surprises. Shouldn’t I say, cause well.. your guess is as good as mine what’s going down weather-wise come Saturday. Tough, mother-of-a-month that it has been to train in, I’ve managed to get some crazy running in amid some aches and pains here and there. I’m definitely over-due a siesta after Saturday -big smile- and I’m so looking forward to it.

During my self pep talks, I mentally run the course and psych myself up so I feel ready for race day. I go through the fuel and gel stations, mileage and my pace and try to incorporate some sight-seeing along the way. There are benefits to this; I’m able to lose myself in my surroundings a bit and enjoy the beauty around me. Also, during this time, less attention is given to the pressures of the race and I’m able to live the moment. Additionally, I’m big on experiences and every race is an experience I love to revel in, at least when I’m not in pain, so while some races are more memorable than others, I like to think I take away something valuable each time.

High expectations is another facet of my type-A person. I run around expecting the best from myself every time. Within recent times I have been not-a-little disappointed with my performance and sometimes lack of proper judgement, and while that would be enough to faze the average Jane, I remain fearless and determined as ever with eyes fixed on Boston 2015 and a goal of 3:35. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength and hopefully wings for feet.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! This Irish-named girl feels lucky! image

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 167 other followers

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 167 other followers

%d bloggers like this: